||Dahi Kebab or Curd Cutlet is a vegetarian kebab made with Hung Curd. The taste of the kebabs are tangy because of the key ingredient "Hung Curd".
Hung Curd is prepared simply by removing excess water by hanging Curd in muslin or cotton cloth. It is a perfect snack best enjoyed with green chutney.
It is also a nutritional snacks as it is rich in Calcium, Phosphorus and vitamins.
This Kebab is made with only hung curd as main ingredient. But, many variations can be done with it.
Servings: Makes 4 kebabs
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 30 mins
Curd: 200 g
Onions: 1/4 finely chopped
Green Chilies: 2 finely chopped
Cumin Powder: 1/4 tbsp
Ginger: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Salt: As per taste
Fresh Coriander Leaves: 1/2 cup finely chopped
Chili Powder: 1/4 tbsp
Semolina or Sooji: To coat kebabs
Oil: For shallow frying
- Put curd in a muslin or cotton cloth. Bring all sides together and tie it. Hang it for about 4 hours so that water can easily be drained. Either place over sink or bowl. The water is not required, so you can throw it away.
- Since, this hung curd is very smooth in texture, it may still drain water while frying, so we will try to remove excess water again by sauteing without oil.Take a pan. Put hung curd. Switch on the stove to medium low flame. Keep stirring the hung curd for about 10 mins. Water will start separating, then switch off the stove. Let it cool down.
- Add onions, chilies, cumin powder, chilly powder, ginger, coriander leaves, salt and mix it well. Take a portion of the mix and make a small ball and flatten it with your palms. Coat it with Sooji on both the sides. In a pan, heat oil on medium flame and fry the kebabs till the color changes to light brown. Flip the side and once it changes to brown, keep it aside. Repeat this for remaining mix.
- Never, put curd directly on the heated pan as it would burn the hung curd. Always, switch on the stove after putting the curd on pan.
- As the kebabs are tangy, many people will not like it. So you can try the combinations of 100 g smashed potatoes and 100 g hung curd OR 100 g potatoes, 50 g grated cheese and 50 g hung curd. You need not heat the curd in this combination as potatoes will act as binding agent.